Why Are Early Mornings More Productive Than Late Nights?
I want to preface this post by saying that although many studies prove that early risers tend to be more productive, a portion of the population still enjoys working better at night!
With this said, let's find out why early mornings are better:
1. Early mornings are generally quieter: When it comes down to productivity, there's nothing better than finding yourself in a state of flow for a couple of hours. That, however, can be very difficult if you live with someone or if you have a family. When you carve out 2 hours from your early morning schedule though, you can claim that alone time back!
2. Your brain is fresh and more focused: Waking up early can be hard when you first give it a try, but that's not how it will always be. Provided that you sleep 7 to 8 hours a night, you will feel laser focused within 10 minutes of waking up. Make it into a new routine! I make my self a cup of black coffee, and I spend the first 20 to 30 minutes relaxing and enjoying the silence around me. By the time I am done my coffee and my meditation practice, not only am I awake but I am excited to work!
3. Evenings are for the family: When I get the bulk of my work done between 5 and 8 am, I feel good about spending time with my wife and friends in the evening. It boils down to finding that guilt-free time off. Would you enjoy your time off if you knew you still had to reply to emails and work on a client project? Every time I have extra work that pops up at night, I can enjoy my evening knowing that I'll take care of it first thing in the morning.
4. You set the tone for the rest of the day: Just like making your bed in the morning to get that small win, waking up early adds that sense of accomplishment to my day. When I cross off the calendar the "Wake-up at 5:00 am" entry I feel so much more in control of my day. Commutes and long meetings don't seem as daunting because I know I can handle anything that comes my way.
5. You have a blank slate: While afternoons and evenings are full of activities that people are expected to attend such as gym classes, going to the mall with family, grocery shopping, dinner with relatives etc. your early morning schedule is for you to make up. Are you a lacking exercise? Start an exercise habit before working on your business. Do you want to clear your thoughts? Meditate for 20 minutes. In the past few years, I was able to integrate several good habits into my routine just because I tested so many of them. My favourite early morning activities are meditation, stretching or even going to the sauna. All these practices are conducive to relaxation and increased focus, and they've genuinely increased my sense of well being and overall productivity. I am sure that if I didn't wake up early, I would have never incorporated these activities into my calendar. Sometimes we just need to try new things with an open mind!
As usual, if you want to get started with your entrepreneurial journey but you feel stuck, or you simply have any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on Instagram at @denierob. Let me help you take your game to the next level